Pearls are a timeless addition to any jewellery collection, from single-strand pearl necklaces to stud earrings. Discover how to wear pearls both casually and formally.
What Are Pearls?
A pearl is a type of high-luster gemstone. These gemstones are typically small, round, and white, but they also come in a variety of shapes and colors such as blue, gray, and pink. Pearls form when sand particles slip between the shell and mantle of oysters. Natural pearls are the most expensive kind of pearls.
Insemination of mussels produces freshwater pearls, also known as cultured or farmed pearls. Natural, freshwater, and imitation pearl stones are popular fine and fashion jewellery stones. Pearl necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and rings are classic pieces of jewellery.
How to Wear Pearls
Pearls, traditionally worn by royalty and the wealthy, are a timeless fashion trend. Consider the following pearl jewellery styles:
1. Dress up. A large pearl pendant necklace can be an excellent statement piece to wear with a cocktail dress or formal attire. Large pearl drop earrings are also fashionable.
2. String pearls together. Wearing a multi-layer pearl necklace or layering strands of pearls of varying lengths creates a dramatic effect.
3. Select a single pearl stone. A necklace with a single pearl stone is a timeless look that can be worn from day to night. A simple pearl pendant necklace can dress up a simple T-shirt and jeans outfit, or it can be paired with blazers and cardigans for the office. A pair of pearl earrings, such as studs, is also appropriate for both a casual and formal look.
4. Experiment with necklace length. Try a pearl choker necklace for an edgy look. An elegant look is a medium-length pearl necklace, also known as a princess-length necklace, or a long pearl necklace, also known as an opera-length necklace.
5. Display the jewellery. Simple necklines on blouses, dresses, and sweaters effectively showcase pearl necklaces. Pull your hair back into a ponytail or bun if you're wearing pearl earrings to highlight the accessories.
6. Dress in dark colors. Wear solid-colored clothing, especially if you're wearing white pearls. The beautiful simplicity of the pearl necklace is overshadowed by bright colors and busy patterns. A classic pearl look is to wear pearls with a little black dress.